Standard: Study the Niger River and the relationship of vegetation zones of forest, savannah, and desert to trade in gold, salt, food, and slaves; and the growth of the Ghana and Mali empires.
Aim: The historians of 2017 will be able to describe and critique Mali's system for making money for the kingdom.
2. Since gold was how both the empires of Ghana and Mali got their money, after the pop quiz we are going to watch this great video from Hank Green about gold and why people find it so important.
3. Quick Discussion: If you are the king of a country, would you charge people to travel through your country on your roads? If so, how much would you charge them?
4. Watch my presentation on the Kingdom of Mali. Because it is a video, please pause, "rewind" the video as many times you need to in order to extract all the nuggets of information.
Please excuse the sound of my voice, I'm still getting over my cold.
5. After watching the presentation on Mali, please add to your Kingdom of Mali notes about the follow main ideas:
- Mansa Musa
- Economy (how the empire made money)
7. Go back and finish your notes or presentation from yesterday's reading. Remember, you were required to take notes or create a presentation based on what you and your group investigated yesterday.
Homework: For your homework tonight you are going to read about Islam in West Africa and complete the reflection questions.